Friday, May 13, 2011

REMEMBERING...

Eighteen years ago yesterday my family faced the lost of my spouse and my children's father.  Poetry often was, and is, my solace and escape.  Reprinted below are two of my poems from that time in memory of David, still.

NO NIGHTMARES IN MAY
No one thinks dark in May
with
bitty buds
sun jewels
cheery chirps
bulging blossoms of hope.

No one thinks sad in May
with
pink proms
lacy weddings
anniversaries
cascading calendars of hope.

No one thinks it's over in May
with
God's forgiveness
God's love
God's eternity
enriching our environs with hope.


SWANS ON THE BAY
I walk by the bay, alone
Sifting through
Sands of sorrow
Grains of grief
Muddling images
Sorting thoughts
I watch the skies
for answers
I listen to the waves
for whys
I whisper to the birch
"If only"

Swans stop me suddenly
Whispering white of down
Resting upon ridged rocks
Illuminating light-lines
Pecking, peeking from the shadows
Deep, dark almond eyes
Reflect, reveal
Hardened bill reaches
Touching, trapping
Elegant, body-grace
Molds, softens
Long, nail-tough beak
Pokes, prods

Swans settle my muddle
I embrace the contrasting comfort
Of sharp, prolonged grief
That pierces my insides
Racking my emotions
Of quiet, peaceful sorrow
That hushes my sobs
Brushes my tears
I know both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPEAK FOR THE LAND   Temples      of sacred rock Templates      of sequestered ravines Treasures      of seasonal ren...